Throughout modern Greek history, children have always been the biggest victims of war, poverty and social unrest.
During these extreme moments, the Greek diaspora, particularly in North America, always responded in a resounding way.
Today, one in four children in Greece face extreme poverty, making the country the worst place for children in the European Union, according to official statistics by Eurostat.
The Greek America Foundation has launched the #ChildrenOfGreece campaign as part of our Project Hope for Greece campaign.
Over the next two years, we hope to raise funds and awareness for six Greece-based charities whose work directly impacts children in all facets of life — from birth through their developing years, into adolescence and beyond.
The #ChildrenOfGreece campaign aims to raise awareness among North Americans about the challenges faced by the most vulnerable members of Greek society — the children.
But we cannot do this alone. We need you to get involved.
Here is how you can donate your birthday to the #ChildrenOfGreece campaign via Facebook.
- Click this link: https://www.facebook.com/fund/GAFoundation/
- For the question “Who are you raising money for?” enter “Greek America Foundation.”
- For the question “How much do you want to raise?” select an amount and set a realistic goal.
- For the question “When should your fundraiser end?” select the last day of your fundraiser (usually the date of your birthday).
- The next window asks you to tell your story. You can edit the title of your fundraiser to something like “Raising money for children’s causes in Greece” or even leave it as is. You can also edit the field that says “Why are you raising money?” Below we have provided text that you can use that describes our campaign. Feel free to copy and paste this text or edit it into your own voice.
Why are you raising money? (Optional copy/paste)
Many children in Greece are suffering. One out of every four faces extreme poverty — the worst in the European Union, according to official statistics by Eurostat. For millions of Greek children, access to medical care, education, social services and other essential resources is scarce — a direct result of years of crippling austerity and unemployment, not to mention the worst refugee crisis in the country since World War II. The New York-based Greek America Foundation has launched a fundraising campaign in partnership with six Greece-based charities whose work supports children. All proceeds from this fundraiser will go toward helping these charities fulfill their mission and, in turn, provide hope for the #ChildrenOfGreece.
6) The final step is to choose a cover photo for your campaign. We have already created a selection of photos properly sized for Facebook from which you will choose. Click here to see the photos and select whichever you prefer.